03 May 2010

An Inconvenient Truth

I have to say that as I have progressed onward into the book I have become less and less enchanted with the author's seemingly idealistic campaign to reclaim the purification of his soul by fleeing the evils of modern society. I really think the post by fbw reflects a lot of what I have begun to notice: that this is not about escaping the grasp of modern life in order to enhance one's self but rather an attempt to add another story to his repertoire. I truly feel there is nothing more behind this excursion into 1900. I was watching some show several months back (can't recall what the show happened to be) but there was character who was basically a collector of personal stories. He would pass from one experience to the next claiming to have uncovered some insightful meaning from each one: patience from a year studying amongst the Monks of Tibet, wisdom from the Spanish priests, etc. However, by the end of the show it has become apparent that this guy is actually caught up more in the romanticism of his stories and that he has gained very little comprehension of his own character. The other “locals” on the show soon discover that they have more profound experiences even though they have stayed within the same county most of their life. This is not to advocate any xenophobic attitudes of small town life, but I feel very much as if Mr. Ward just wanted another story to add to his collection. As the story has progressed I have felt this disposition increasingly growing. They want to appear to be this “cool” couple to their New York friends and this pragmatic family who endured the bright lights of the city and escaped it to return to where they truly belong. I am just not buying it. I do want to note that I think that what cwb stated is so very important in that no matter what I say, I do have to commend them for taking action. It is easy for me to sit and here type this out in my air conditioned house and cast judgment when a part of me truly envies what they have done. I just find it hard to believe that the author’s purpose is for anything beyond writing a book to make more money and gain another story that, although unique in nature, has been done with the wrong intentions.

With all of that being said, I actually feel strongly connected to the couple’s story and I am enjoying the read. Despite what I perceive to be the author’s disingenuous motives I feel that the story does convey extremely well how disconnected we really are from our recent ancestors. I am baffled at the fact that it is virtually impossible for an average couple to completely abandon the present day and live as our great grandparents did. It seems as though it would be so hard for a modern person to live one hundred years ago and it makes me wonder what my grandchildren will think of the era I lived in.

One particular passage captured my attention recently. I am over a hundred pages into the book so this might be a little ahead of some of you but I do not feel it will detract anything from your future readings by mention this now. At one point the author introspectively notes that he despite his best efforts to flee the stresses of modern living he has only succeeded in recycling them for new stresses which in many ways seem far more bothersome. He points at that, yes, in today’s society you have debts and deadlines but you never worry about the ability to provide food for your family. If someone is starving in America today it is largely, if not entirely, due to their own stupidity. Any family will have numerous places to reach out for the ability to survive. One hundred years ago it was a very real possibility that your family could run short of food, or a simple cold could wipe out an entire generation of ancestry. I remember distinctly a conversation that I had with Leigh’s great-uncle one time a few years back. I asked, ”what is the biggest difference between the time when you were my age and now?” His reply was surprisingly short and simple; he said the only real difference as far as he could tell is that the pace of life has changed. People have lost all patience with everything: business, nature, religion, and even their fellow man. He said that nowadays everything is expected to be done with great haste, whereas in his youth people appreciated what virtue there is in waiting. As I try patiently to wait for this baby to stop crying, I wonder what else I have to do that is so important. Yet for years now I feel that I have wrongly labeled patience as laziness and I am beginning to see what it is the author claims to have set out in search of among the Virginia farmlands.

4 comments:

  1. It has been noted twice that Mr. Ward may have gone into this endeavor to have another experience to document. Another book to write for fortune or fame. Something else to fill a void. Can it also be said of us. We are taking on this project of sorts to read and post (which can be read like a book). We could have just as easily gone into it privately and got together over coffee or dinner to discuss; which may be more ideal. Instead we read (experience), then we let the public in on our thoughts and concerns (write). We may not be making money or gaining fame (not yet at least), but people have the right and ability to listen. Not hating; just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put cwb. I think my issue comes with expectations I set forth when I first read the abstract of the story. I expected Jeremiah Johnson with wife and child, renouncing a society gone wrong and returning to the source of their being. Instead I get Timothy Treadwell and family, desperately seeking attention in a world they had once set out to conquer before succumbing to the conformity of society, something they had vowed not to do. On the surface it appears that their story is one requiring great valor, but when I look at the motive (which is I am afraid is largely for profit and renown) I am disappointed based on the expectations I set forth. I see it as nothing more than a clever means to gain attention, much like living amongst wild bears. While it might seem like a brave thing to do on the surface, when you realize it is no more than a ploy to garner attention it is hard not to put them in the same category as the latest Youtube sensation. Not that these people are not entertaining, but I do not attach a deeper purpose to their actions.

    I do think it is important though to focus on their story. Although I might have established greater aspirations upon their pursuit of this lifestyle, it is the story that is important. Therefore I will make no further comments to disparage the author’s motives as I truly commend them for what he has done and find that it is not my place to pass such judgment but rather, I should enjoy the story. It has been highly entertaining an d I will focus the efforts of my future posts to commenting on their adventures in the year 1900.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do understand what you are saying. I think for the Wards, this started off as grand adventure. Something that would change them for the better. I think we all do the same thing. Whether it is hoping for some grand sermon to make us "better". Or a trip of a lifetime that can never be equaled. We are left wanting more. We are left with a struggle. That struggle is expectations not being met. I believe they got to this point early on b/c things got hard. Dusty pants and dirty fingernails aren't as sexy as they might have thought to begin with. Ravi Zacharias wrote an amazing book dealing with expectations. Talks about the more knowledge we have the less interesting things become. The more we build things up; the more they let us down. Maybe the same reason people get so depressed around Christmas. The great season isn't always what it is "supposed" to be. Interesting how you can parallel it with Jesus' birth. The Jews were hoping for this great "earthly" ruler to come and rescue them. However, He was born in a cattle trough. Later on he entered the city on a donkey. The whole situation wasn't what the people expected or wanted. Maybe the same is true for the Wards. Maybe they were escaping reality. Then reality hits them in the face. Life gets hard. I think that is why I have appreciated the story so far. Its kind of like life; harder than we want sometimes and better than we deserve sometimes. Sorry for rambling. I am not sure this all made much since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was very powerful stuff, and I could not agree with it more. I think that is why it is prudent to take things as they are and evaluate them for their own worth rather than comparing them to personal expectations. In reference to to Mr. Zacharias's book, what you said of it reminds me of the poem "When I heard the Learn'd Astronomer" by Whitman. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete