10 May 2010

News From the Future

I have finally made it about 2/3's of the way through the book. Ironically most of my reading time has been spent at 35,000 feet or on the 43rd floor of a hotel overlooking the neon lights of a city that was burned to the ground about a 150 years ago. As I stare at the neon, red Coca-Cola sign outside my window, which illuminated this side of the city like the brand name illuminates the world with consumerism, I can't help but think what this city looked like in 1900. Due to that fact that it was a major metropolitan area, I would think it is much like it is now, minus the tall buildings. The homeless sleeping in the dark alleys, drugs and alcohol ruling the lives of those who have yet to find something better to live for, money ruling the lives of others only in a much more glamorous fashion, and those who are working hard doing what is in their power "to feel more secure."

Despite all the discussion over whether or not the Ward's accepted this challenge to put another notch in their belt or somehow profit from the experiment, the most important thing is whether or not they (as a family and individually) were able to take something away from the experience. Over the last few years, I have come to realize that God places situations in our life that are meant to teach us and/or grow our relationship with Him. We usually don't understand why at the time and may never understand in our time as a member of this fallen creation. These situations shape our character and can also be used for use to help others in the future who go through similar experiences. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything (1 James 1:2-4)."

What I am trying to get at is that for the first time in this book I finally feel that Logan is pulling something from this experience other than a cool story or a self serving exercise. Maybe it was a combination of the experiment and the attacks on New York but whatever it was, I felt relieved to see Logan gain an understanding and appreciation that he can take with him and hopefully spread to his family. When Logan was talking about Heather's grandmother and the Great Depression he said, "she's doing what is in her power to feel more secure - honing her resourcefulness, staying focused on life's essentials, helping others." Logan, that is exactly what you are doing....I hope. The purpose of the experiment itself is laid before us and what our daily lives should revolve around. I go to work in attempts to hone my resourcefullness to provide for my family. I go to Church to help me stay focused on life's essentials, and I try to stay in the word to guide me in these principles and help others in their lives and give them the opportunity to experience a life with Christ that we so often take forgranted.

I don't know what the final outcome of the book will be or what the Wards' will take with them other than a story and a paycheck from the publisher but there is a part of me that longs for them retain something more from the experience. Whether we realize it or not, we encounter experiences daily. How we embrace these experiences dictates the future benefits we gain from them. "turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God (Pr. 2: 2-5)." We are all serching for security in everything we do, and if we take a few minutes and look for it in the right place, we just might find it. I look forward to see if the Wards' find the security they were searching for when they left their broken home in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment