01 May 2010

The Struggle

Good morning gentlemen! I finally had the opportunity to dive into our our current topic and was consumed with anticipation in the first chapter. As most of you probably know, I am at my wits end with my current job and have began the search for a "normal" life. This chapter of the book has highlighted several of the personal issues I have been struggling with over the last couple of months. The discussion below may not coincide with the book 100% but it was inspired with the book and as my friends you are forced to listen.

I think this chapter consumed me because I can identify 100% with the Ward's, outside the fact they live in NYC and have a child. I have been pushed to the breaking point mentally and physically over the last 4 months, working 60+ hour weeks consecutively and the majority of my relationship with my wife has been that of 2 ships passing in the night. The old saying, "It pays the bills..." describes my job completely. I have no passion for what I do, I don't see the purpose in my meaningless daily tasks 90% of the time and I don't respect the people I work for.

I have brought up the term "self-sufficiency" numerous times over the last few months. While that may be a little extreme, I think the idea is attractive. I have grown frustrated and tired with the demands society has put on each and every one of us. Phrases such as, "We have to have this...", or "You have to do this.....", "You need this....". I long for the simple things that I do not have, and despise the chains that bind me to my current state. How I would love to take a walk with my wife down by the pond and stroll by the garden on the way back to the house, pick a few vegetables for dinner and not hear a car or another human being. I was talking to Ashley last night and discussing why I have such an addiction with turkey hunting and why I let it run my life during the spring. I realized that it is my escape. For a three hour period I use no cell phone, I have no email, I don't have to think about work, or how I can get a lower internet rate. It is absolutely the most peaceful time I have throughout the entire year....it is my escape....my drug. Not only that but the sense of satisfaction that comes with providing meat for my family's table. I truly feel like a real man when I have blood on my hands or dirt under my fingernails. Yes, I love to hunt but there is nothing like the satisfaction to know that I am the one putting food on the table and not picking it up from Publix. I am in control of my family's future. My success or failure in the woods or in the garden directly affects my family. Now there is a daily task that gets my attention, as opposed to making sure the VP of Finance signed off on a reconciliation!

Wow, hows that for rambling? My point is that we have been painted into little boxes that society has molded for us. I'm not saying living in the 1900s would be glamorous because there are definitely hardships that I have not thought about or even know about. I just think our society as a whole would benefit in the morality department if we carved out some things in our life and replaced them with a slower pace. A few examples...actually observe the Sabbath (i.e. take the day off and give it to God), spend time with our families away from the TV, take children fishing, take time out of the day to teach something to our children about the outdoors and get our families back in Church. Last point, I vented to Ashley about society and how I desire to shield our children from the curses it brings but also expose them to the great things it has to offer (a very fine line indeed). It will take a strong relationship with God for our children to not succumb to the desires society says we should have, it will take a mother who is there to love and support, and a father who is a true spiritual leader of the house. I look forward to see what the Ward's take away from their experiment, as such a measure must be a great awakening. And for now, I will continue to settle for the days in the woods and the time on the water for my escape to a simpler time until I can break the chains that hold me in modern day society.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this very much and in regards to what I have posted about my take on the story above; I feel that what you have mentioned here is what I myself envision as the reasoning for escaping modern life. To do so with the expectations of getting back to what matters, not so that I could go write a book about it and out another notch in my belt. I feel that you have addressed the same essence for breaking away that I share, yet as I read the story I am truly disillusioned with Mr. Ward's motives. What you have stated in its entirety though is a vary realistic force that is plaguing so many of us, and the saddest part is that we are often so busy that we don't even have time to realize how busy we are. It takes a moment away in the woods to find the solace of yourself, which clears the mind and opens the door to the very real achievement of personal insight.

    ReplyDelete